Adult Education Classes
Adult Education classes meet at 11:00 am on Sunday mornings. Child care will be provided upon request.
Fall 2017 Schedule
- September 24 – October 15 – DVD based study Uppity Women of the Bible: Esther
- October 22: “The Refugee Crisis in Greece”, presentation by Melissa Sidor
Please join us even if you have been unable to attend a previous class in a series.
Tuesday Morning Bible Study
The Tuesday Morning Bible Study group meets at 9:30 AM every Tuesday throughout the year. With Martha Porter’s years of experience as a teacher of scripture, this is one class you will not want to miss.
The SPC Book Group meets monthly from September through June. The selections are available on abebooks.com or amazon.com. Meetings will be in the Church Parlor at 7:30pm and refreshments will be served. All are welcome.
The Book Group Schedule and history is on the Book Group event web page.
Past Parenting Workshops
Our 3rd Annual Parenting Class was scheduled for Jan. 24; Feb. 7, 21, 28; and Mar. 6 in 2016.
We discuss topics such as cooperation, communication, responsibility, discipline, building courage and self-esteem, and understanding & redirecting misbehavior. The classes are held from 11:00am-noon. Childcare provided. You do not have to attend every week. Friends and family who are not members at SPC are more than welcome too!
Past Sunday Morning Adult Education Classes
8 What does it mean to be a Sanctuary Church? — rescheduled to Jan 18, 7pm
15 Dakota Access Pipeline Protest with Rick Ufford-Chase
22 Bible Study – The Four Gospels, Part 1; Martha Porter
29 Bible Study – The Four Gospels, Part 2; Martha Porter
5 Caregiving and Alzheimer’s Part 1; the Rev. Dr. Craig Malbon
12 Caregiving and Alzheimer’s Part 2; the Rev. Dr. Craig Malbon
26 Singing the Faith; the Rev. Mary B. Speers
March 12 – April 2 Four-week DVD-based Lenten study on Ruth; Uppity Women of the Bible
23 Spiritual Wiring part 1
30 Introduction to Contemplation and Meditation; Sr. Margaret Rohde, r.c.
7 Spiritual Wiring part 2
14 Mother’s Day
28 Memorial Day weekend
- Jan. 10 – a class based on Erase Racism
- Jan. 24 and Feb. 7 – Bible study on The Gospels.
- Feb. 21, 28, March 6, 13 and maybe 3/20- Palm Sunday – a series on Walter Brueggemann’s DVD-based course on “Countering Pharaoh’s Production-consumption Society Today”.
- April 3, 10, 17 – Enneagram series
- May 1, 22 – Singing the Faith series
- Sep 18 – Notes from Iona—Singing the Faith
- Oct 9 – Ethics of Abortion. see the Rev. Dr. Craig Malbon’s book Abortion in 21st Century America
- Oct 16 – InterPlay: Unlocking the Wisdom of your Body, Sr. Pam Falkowski
- Oct 23 – Connecting the Dots: Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation
Alex McNeill, Executive Director, More Light Presbyterians
- Nov. 6 Singing the Faith: Notes from the Glory to God hymnal and Iona – Interim Music Director Paul Vasile
- Nov. 13 Social Dreaming the Events in the Life of Jesus: the Annunciation by the Rev. Dr. Craig Malbon
- Nov. 20 Cuba Update
- January 4, for Epiphany, Kate will lead us in a discussion of Spiritual Practices.
- January 11, Welcome to India!! Two friends and business partners who delight in sharing their love of India, Presbyterian elders from Smithtown and from the Baldwin Church will speak. They have traveled to India many times, separately and together, and have a story to tell of history, conquest and Hinduism, cultures, religions, mission and Christianity. They will share their experiences of India, both joyful and disturbing, in the context of today’s political realities. Please join us for interesting conversation, slides and yummy Indian snacks.
- Feb. 1: The 10 Commandments and legal issues around public display of the Commandments.
- Feb. 8: A guest speaker, familiar with both sides of the issue, will lead a discussion on the Divestment issue.
- Feb. 22, Mar. 1, Mar. 8 and Mar. 15: A video-based Lent series on Jesus’ “I am…” statements.
- Nooma’s videos will be used as curricula for Mar. 22, April 19 and April 26.
- May 3: an introduction to Enneagram.
- May 17: The Gethsemane video documentary “Walk with Me” will be used as a focus for discussion.
- Fall 2015: Sept. 20 and Oct. 18: Peace and Justice will present two classes on PCUSA’s “Enough for Everyone” program. Sept. 20 topic is food, Oct. 18 is fuel.
- Sept. 27 and Oct. 4: two introductory classes on the Confessions, “Field Trip through the Confessions of the Church”.
- Revelation series – Nov. 1, 8, 15, and 22
- Dec. 6: a discussion based on the Advent Devotional
- Dec. 13: Christmas carols
- February 2: Marriage in Civil Law: beginning a three part series on marriage, this week will begin the series with a look at how the civil government treats marriage. (Feb 9 and Mar 2 are the other parts).
- February 9: We are a More Light and a Covenant Network church. What does that mean? “Following the risen Christ, and seeking to make the Church a true community of hospitality, the mission of More Light Presbyterians is to work for the full participation of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) people in the life, ministry and witness of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and in society.” How does our congregation understand and engage this mission in our shared ministry?
- February 23: Multi-faith session with the Long Island Council of Churches
- March 2: How do we as a congregation contend with the incongruence between current language on marriage in the PC(USA) Book of Order and civil law in our state? What has our Session been doing and what can we do?
- March 9, 16, 23, 30 and April 6: The Old Testament from Scratch – a prophet series during Lent.
A Lenten Devotional is also available on the table outside the sanctuary.
- April 27 and May 4: Constantine, Before and After.
- Fall 2014 classes will begin with a three part series on Exodus, beginning on September 14, continuing on Sept. 21, and the final class on October 5.
- There was a presentation to end child sex slavery and exploitation by advocate for Love146.org on Oct. 26.
- Fall 2014 classes continue on Nov. 9 with a discussion of Just War Theory.
- On Nov. 16 and 23, we will have classes on The Gospel According to the Simpsons.
- On Nov. 30, an Advent Devotional is available on the table outside the sanctuary.
- Dec. 7, a guided meditation led by Br. Mark from Little Portion Friary
- Dec. 14, Christmas Carols and the theology behind them.